After more than four decades of operations, North Baltimore’s Congregation Beit Tikvah recently closed its doors due to dwindling membership and a lack of resources.
A Reconstructionist congregation that billed itself as “lively, participatory, intellectual and spiritual,” Beit Tikvah was founded in 1984 in Towson at 8600 Loch Raven Boulevard, according to the book “Synagogues, Temples and Congregations of Maryland: 1830-1990” (Jewish Historical Society of Maryland) by the late local historian Earl Pruce.
Beit Tikvah — which means house of hope in Hebrew — was the Baltimore area’s first Reconstructionist congregation. The synagogue’s first full-time spiritual leader was Rabbi Elizabeth Bolton, who became Beit Tikvah’s rabbi emerita. She served the congregation from 1999 until 2013.
The synagogue’s part-time spiritual leader since 2018 was Rabbi Douglas Heifetz, a resident of Silver Spring.
Approximately 3 percent of American Jews consider themselves members of the Reconstructionist movement, which is headquartered in the Philadelphia suburb of Wyncote, Pennsylvania.
Reconstructionist is a progressive movement that views Judaism as an “evolving religious civilization” and not simply a faith system.
Since 1988, Beit Tikvah has held services at the Corner Community Center, at 5802 Roland Avenue, which was formerly known as First Christian Church.
According to Beit Tikvah’s website, the congregation held its final worship service there on Saturday morning, May 16, and voted to dissolve the following day. Beit Tikvah’s last day of operation was Tuesday, June. 30.
The synagogue’s sefer Torah was donated to the Seaside Jewish Community congregation in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
“We thank everyone who was a part of our congregation over the years,” Beit Tikvah’s leadership posted on its website. “To all our members and friends: May you live long and prosper.”
